OOCL Takes Top Honors from SEAA for Environmental Excellence
OOCL is proud to receive top honors at this year's Singapore Environmental Achievement Awards (SEAA) ceremony held at the Singapore Environment Council's (SEC) Conference Day event on October 13, 2017. Presented with the 'Outstanding Singapore Environmental Achievement Award,' this overarching award recognizes one top performer amongst all the SEAA categories demonstrating commitment to environmental excellence and protection of the natural environment.
Recognized by the community as one of the most prestigious and reputable environmental award schemes in Singapore and the region, the SEAA was launched by the then Minister for the Environment in Singapore, Mr. Yeo Cheow Tong, to honor outstanding organizations and companies for their overall environmental stewardship, management and performance. It also recognizes the leadership and innovation from their sustainability work and how they may encourage others to adopt a more proactive approach towards managing the environment.
From Left to Right: Ms. Isabella Loh, Chairman of the Singapore Environment Council; Mr. P.C. Wu, Region Group Head of Taiwan and ASEAN Group of OOCL; Mr. Masagos Zulkifli, Minister for the Environment and Water Resources; and Ms. Esther An, Chief Sustainability Officer of City Developments Limited at the presentation for the SEAA Outstanding Singapore Environmental Achievement Award.
Upon receiving the SEAA Award, Mr. P. C. Wu, Region Group Head of Taiwan and ASEAN Group of OOCL, said: “OOCL is pleased to be acknowledged for our commitment and efforts to achieving sustainability objectives by receiving these remarkable awards. Over the years, we have been proactively taking on a leadership role in addressing global environmental challenges. We will continue to push forward with our agenda to further develop our sustainability profile and achieve higher levels of operational excellence."
At the ceremonial event, OOCL was also a winner in the SEAA Maritime sector category, an award sponsored by the Maritime and Port Authority of Singapore (MPA), which recognizes maritime companies that have in place strong environmental management policies with a focus on industry leading initiatives and continuous innovation in their sustainability work.
From Left to Right: Ms. Isabella Loh, Chairman of the Singapore Environment Council; Mr. P.C. Wu Region Group Head of Taiwan and ASEAN Group of OOCL; Mr. Masagos Zulkifli, Minister for the Environment and Water Resources; and Ms. Yvonne Chan, Director (Corporate Development)/CFO of the Maritime and Port Authority of Singapore at the presentation for the SEAA Maritime Award.
Through years of effort and dedication, OOCL has exceeded many international requirements and industry standards in the countries where it operates by implementing many important initiatives that contribute to the success and development of our environmental sustainability profile. Here are some highlights:
- In 2017, OOCL launched the largest containership in the world by carrying capacity at 21,413 TEU, equipped with advanced green features to meet future environmental requirements. The energy efficiency of our new containerships not only satisfies the current Energy Efficiency Design Index (EEDI) baseline requirement, but is 48% better than the EEDI level required by the International Maritime Organization in 2025.
- In order to reach higher standards and transparency in Greenhouse Gas (GHG) reporting, OOCL not only met the verification requirements of GHG Scopes 1 and 2, but also took a further step forward to meet a GHG Scope 3 requirement in 2017, focusing on indirect emissions associated to business travel by air.
- In addition, to enhance fleet performance and efficiency, OOCL and CargoSmart™ have been working closely together to utilize the AIS signals and state-of-the-art tools to monitor all OOCL vessels through CargoSmart's Global Vessel Voyage Monitoring Centre (GVVMC) in real-time to identify any operational issues or deviations that may affect service or schedule reliability.
- To further promote environmental awareness through special events and projects, OOCL organizes the 'Green Week' on the first week of July each year for all employees to take part in environmental related activities. We also support the academic community as well as observatory and meteorological organizations in their oceanography and marine climatology studies to improve weather forecasting for the maritime community.
- We encourage sustainable economic development through innovative environmental care initiatives, support the Ten Principles of the United Nations Global Compact (UNGC), and to continually engage in the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) to tackle global environmental challenges.
For more information about our environmental and sustainability work, you can visit our website or download our latest Sustainability Report.
“Orient Overseas Container Line" and “OOCL" are trade names for transportation provided separately by: Orient Overseas Container Line Limited (“OOCLL") and OOCL (Europe) Limited respectively and both are wholly-owned subsidiaries of Orient Overseas (International) Limited, a public company (0316) listed on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange. Headquartered in Hong Kong, OOCL is one of the world's largest integrated international container transportation and logistics companies, with more than 330 offices in 70 countries. Linking Asia, Europe, North America, the Mediterranean, the Indian sub-continent, the Middle East and Australia/New Zealand, the company offers transportation services to all major east/west trading economies of the world. OOCL is one of the leading international carriers serving China, providing a full range of logistics and transportation services throughout the country. It is also an industry leader in the use of information technology and e-commerce to manage the entire cargo process. (http://www.oocl.com/)