Last Updated: 6 March 2009
PRIVACY AND SECURITY STATEMENT
As part of the normal operation of our services we collect and, in some cases, disclose information about you. OOCL understands and appreciates that you, as a user of the OOCL Web Site, are concerned about your privacy and about the confidentiality and security of information we may collect from you via the OOCL Network. OOCL is committed to safeguarding your privacy. This OOCL Privacy and Security Statement explains how information collected from you will be treated as you access and interact with the OOCL Web Site.
In addition to the provisions of this Privacy and Security Statement, there may also be specific and additional privacy provisions that apply to certain sections of the OOCL Web Site. As those specific and additional provisions also relate to your privacy protection, you should review them wherever they are accessible by you via the OOCL Web Site. In the event of any inconsistency between the provisions of this Privacy and Security Statement and those other specific and additional provisions, the other specific and additional provisions will prevail.
1. Acceptance and changes to Privacy and Security Statement.
2. Information We Collect
(a) We collect information from you in order to provide you with a smooth, efficient, and customized service while enjoying services provided by OOCL. Some of this information may be of a form or format that identifies you or another person ("personally identifiable information").
(c) The OOCL Web Site offers a number of non-interactive and interactive services. We generally do not capture any personally identifiable information that you may enter when using the non-interactive service. If you visit the OOCL Web Site to read, browse or download information, our system will record the date and time of your visit to the OOCL Web Site, the pages viewed and any information downloaded.
(d) OOCL automatically tracks certain information about you based upon your behavior on the OOCL Web Site. OOCL uses this information to do internal research on users’ shipping preferences and behaviour to better understand and serve our users. This information is compiled and analyzed on an aggregated basis in accordance with this Privacy and Security Statement.
(e) To use most of the interactive Service provided by OOCL on the OOCL Web Site, you will need to register as a user by providing personally identifiable information, including your name and contact information at your place of business such as company name, e-mail address and telephone number. You will be given the opportunity to create a password for your use in accessing the interactive Service in the future. Some users may access the interactive Service under company membership rather than an individual membership. In these cases, your registration will be carried out by your company administrator or by such party authorized by you, who will provide your personally identifiable information and carry out other tasks on your behalf.
(f) Visitors (registered or unregistered) to the OOCL Web Site may also be asked to complete various online form(s) requesting personally identifiable information, such as name and e-mail address. Whenever OOCL collects personally identifiable information on the OOCL Web Site, we make an effort to include a link or other pointer to this Privacy and Security Statement.
3. Third Party Resources
4. Third Party Hosting Service and other Service Providers
(a) OOCL may contract with one or more third parties (“Third Party Host”) or engage the System Administrator to maintain and host the OOCL Network or portions thereof. Therefore, any information you submit, including personally identifiable information, will be placed and stored on a computer server maintained by such Third Party Host or the System Administrator. Your use of the OOCL Web Site and any Posting of Data to OOCL and/or the OOCL Network constitutes your acknowledgement that such Data could pass through and may be stored in servers outside the control of OOCL and may be accessed by the administrator of such site and others that gain access to OOCL’s, Third Party Host’s or System Administrator’s server or stored files. Except as may be required by applicable laws, you agree that OOCL has no liability or responsibility for any disclosure, authorized or unauthorized, resulting from or arising in connection with such pass through or storage of same.
(b) OOCL may also provide personally identifiable information to our vendors, suppliers and hosting providers (together with Third Party Host and the “System Administrator”, the “Service Providers”) in order for such Service Providers to 1) provide us with products and services related to better operation and maintenance of the OOCL Network; or 2) assist us in processing information and/or carrying out any of the authorized uses of your information described in Section 6 below.
(a) OOCL uses "cookies" as a fundamental part of our interaction with your Internet browser. The intention is to provide you with a better and more customized service and with a more effective web site.
(b) A "cookie" is a small text file placed on your computer by our webpage server. A cookie can later be retrieved by our webpage servers. Most cookies are "session cookies", meaning that they are automatically deleted at the end of a session.
(c) A cookie may be set when you register or "Log In" and is modified when you "Log Out" of the OOCL Web Site. Currently, each browser accessing the OOCL Web Site is given a unique cookie which is then used to determine the extent of repeat usage and usage by a registered user as opposed to an unregistered user.
(e) You are always free to decline OOCL's cookies if your browser permits, although you may be unable to use certain portion of the OOCL Web Site that require cookies in order to participate.
(f) Advertising networks (if any) that may serve advertisements onto the OOCL Web Site may also use their own cookies.
Such advertising networks web sites may contain their own privacy statements. Advertising networks’ sites are not covered by this Privacy and Security Statement or other provisions of the Agreement, and those advertising networks are responsible for informing you about their own privacy practices.
6. Use and disclosure of information
(a) Information collected from you that is not personally identifiable information may be used or shared as OOCL in its sole discretion deems appropriate. Personally identifiable information collected from you will generally be used by us or third parties or disclosed to third parties in ways set out in this Privacy and Security Statement. By using or accessing the OOCL Web Site , you expressly consent to our use and disclosure of the information you provide to OOCL.
(b) Generally, OOCL uses personally identifiable information:
(1) to remind us of who you are and to access your account information (stored on our computers) in order to deliver to you a better and more personalized service.
(2) to estimate our audience size and to statistically analyze the usage.
(3) to identify pages you have accessed and Third Party Resources you have accessed.
(4) to improve our marketing and promotional efforts.
(5) to measure certain traffic patterns, which areas of the OOCL Web Site you have visited or used, and your visiting patterns in the aggregate. We use this research to understand how our users’ habits are similar to or different from one another so that we can make each new experience on OOCL Web Site a better one. OOCL may use this information to better personalize the content, banners, and promotions that you and other users will see on OOCL Web Site.
(6) to resolve disputes, troubleshoot problems and enforce the Agreement.
(7) to improve our service.
(8) to provide service you request.
(9) for administrative, security and other legitimate business purposes.
(c) OOCL may also use personally identifiable information to contact you:
(1) to deliver messages that you have requested.
(2) to deliver information to you that, in some cases, is targeted to your interests, such as new services, unless you have indicated, in accordance with Section 8 (b) of this Privacy and Security Statement, that you do not wish to receive this information.
(3) to contact you regarding administrative notices, new features and communications relevant to your use of OOCL Web Site, unless you have indicated, in accordance with Section 8 (b) of this Privacy and Security Statement, that you do not wish to receive this information. Please see Section 8 with respect to your choices in regard to the communications described above.
(d) OOCL will only disclose personally identifiable information collected from you when:
(1) You have authorized OOCL to do so (including as set forth herein);
(3) OOCL believes that the use or disclosure is reasonably necessary to assist a law enforcement agency or an agency responsible for national security in the performance of their functions;
(4) OOCL is authorised, required or permitted by law, governmental or quasi government agencies to disclose the information;
(5) OOCL discloses the information in the ordinary course of business to the Service Providers, or our professional advisers and other contractors;
(6) You may access Third Party Resources from the OOCL Web Site. In that case, information generated by cookies and information about your preferences or other information that you provide about yourself may be shared between that third party, the person hosting the Third Party Resources, and OOCL and/or its Affiliates. OOCL uses the information to provide you with information about products and services that may be of interest to you. It may also be used for the enhancement of services offered through the OOCL Web Site and Third Party Resources; or
(7) In the event that all or a portion of OOCL or OOCL Affiliate (or the assets of one of those entities), is bought or sold, personally identifiable information will likely be included among the transferred business assets.
(e) (1) You hereby consent that OOCL is authorized to disclose personally identifiable information to the following entities, organizations and persons for so long and to the extent, you have not notified OOCL in writing that you object to such disclosures:
- Affiliates of OOCL, who use the personally identifiable information for the same purposes as OOCL.
- Your representatives (e.g. your authorised representatives or legal advisers).
- Third parties with whom OOCL is jointly offering or co-branding products, including business alliances of OOCL, for purposes of making such joint product offerings and marketing them to you, unless you have indicated, in accordance with Section 8 (b) of this Privacy and Security Statement, that you do not wish to receive this information.
- Service Providers
- Credit-reporting and fraud-checking agencies.
- Our professional advisers, including our accountants, auditors and lawyers.
- Government and regulatory authorities and other organisations, as required or authorised by law.
- Organisations involved in:
- a transfer/sale of all or part of our assets or business (including accounts and trade receivables); and
- managing our corporate risk and funding functions.
- Telecommunication and information service providers.
- Third party licensors.
- System Administrator.
(2) Objections to such disclosures must be in written form and may be made to the address listed in Section 12 below. Please note that to the extent the parties listed above are involved in offering or delivering information on the OOCL Web Site (or part thereof) that you have requested, your requests not to share your information with those parties may not be feasible.
(f) Except as otherwise expressly discussed herein, this Privacy and Security Statement only addresses the use and disclosure in the first instance of information we collect from you. Personally identifiable information about you provided by another party will for the purposes of this Privacy and Security Statement be deemed to be personally identifiable information collected from such other party, not you, whether such other party originally received the information from you or another source.
7. How we handle E-mails
We will preserve the content of any e-mail that you send us. Any personally identifiable information contained in your e-mail, including your e-mail address, will be used or disclosed in ways set out in this Privacy and Security Statement. Your e-mail message content may be monitored by OOCL's employees or by System Administrator for trouble shooting and maintenance purposes or where e-mail abuse is suspected.
8. Choices Provided by OOCL
(a) You have the right to request OOCL not to use or retain personally identifiable information collected from you. However, we may retain in our files some information you have requested to be removed in some circumstances, such as to resolve disputes, troubleshoot problems and/or enforce the Agreement. Further, such prior information is never completely removed from our databases due to technical constraints and the fact that we back up our systems. Therefore, you should not expect that all of your personally identifiable information would be completely removed from our databases in response to your requests. Please contact Customer Care as stated in Section 12 to exercise your rights in this regard.
(b) OOCL also provides users with tools to enable them to manage e-mails from OOCL. Upon registration, users may complete a user profile indicating whether they would like to receive promotional e-mails from OOCL. Users who indicate that they are not interested in receiving such e-mails are not included in promotional e-mail distributions from OOCL. Users have the ability to edit their profiles at any time to update their preference with regard to such e-mails, either by logging into the site, or by contacting OOCL Customer Care as stated in Section 12 below. Upon editing your profile, you can expect to be removed from promotional distributions within ten business days of the changes you make. In addition, all promotional e-mails from OOCL contain instructions on how the recipient can opt out of receiving similar e-mails in the future by replying to the e-mail.
(c) OOCL communications such as administrative and technical notices, notices of new features and other messages relevant to your use of the OOCL Web Site may contain a link to a web page with instructions on how users can unsubscribe from these sorts of transactional messages. If you choose to unsubscribe to these messages, you will bear the risk that you may not receive messages that are important to your continued use of the OOCL Web Site.
9. Reviewing and Changing Your Personally Identifiable Information
(a) Through its interactive functions, OOCL allows many users to directly input changes to their preferences, passwords and personally identifiable information on an immediate basis. This may be accomplished by editing the user profile available on the applicable portion of the OOCL Web Site. Users who access the OOCL Web Site through a company membership may also submit requests to their company administrators to update their user profiles.
(b) By viewing and editing your user profile, you or else your company administrator can review and change the information you submitted including but not limited to the following:
(i) Your password and email address. If you change your password, the System Administrator or OOCL (in the case of Registered Users’ password)(as the case may be) keeps track of your old password and your new password.
(ii) Your address, city, state, zip code, country, primary phone number, email address, secondary phone number, and fax number.
(iii) Your shipping preferences and preferred time zone.
(c) If your personally identifiable information changes, you must promptly update us of any changes to your information by editing your user profile or requesting that your company administrator edit your user profile.
10. Security of Information
(a) OOCL takes reasonable steps to preserve the security of the personally identifiable information collected in accordance with this Privacy and Security Statement and of OOCL placed cookies.
(b) OOCL will use standard industry efforts to safeguard the confidentiality of your personally identifiable information, such as firewalls and secure socket layers. You acknowledge that notwithstanding the steps OOCL takes to ensure security, there can be no guarantee of security on the Internet. OOCL does not represent or warrant that your personally identifiable information will be protected against loss, misuse, attacks, or alteration by third parties.
11. Important Reminders
(b) While using the OOCL Web Site, you may be provided with a unique password. You are responsible for the security of your password and you may not disclose your password to any third parties nor share it with any third parties. If you lose control of your password, you may lose substantial control over your personally identifiable information and may be subject to legally binding actions taken on your behalf. Therefore, if the security of your password has been compromised for any reason, you should immediately notify us and change your password.
(c) OOCL will never ask you for your password in an unsolicited phone call or in an unsolicited e-mail. Also remember to sign out of your OOCL account in the correct manner and close your browser window when you have finished your work. This is to ensure that others cannot access your personally identifiable information and correspondence if you share a computer with someone else or are using a computer in a public place.
(d) Once OOCL receives data transmitted by you, we take reasonable steps to preserve the security of the information in our own systems. We remind you that different means exist and are being developed for deployment in the context of the Internet which will enable you to improve the protection of your data. Therefore, we encourage you to use all available means to protect your data and communications such as access codes to your own personal computer.
(e) We also remind you that you may be legally responsible for the processing of Data. If you illicitly upload or download Data to or via the OOCL Network, such actions may be traced back to you, even if you use a pseudonym.
12. Contacting Us
Should you have any questions about this Privacy and Security Statement, the practice of the OOCL Web Site, or your dealings with the OOCL Web Site, you can contact:
Corporate Marketing Department (ECommerce Section)
Orient Overseas Container Line Ltd.
Address: 31st Floor, Harbour Centre,
25 Harbour Road,
Telephone: (852) 28333829
Telefax: (852) 25318233